dillon-bridge-patrick-lyons-carrick-on-suir

The new Dillon Bridge, named after John Dillon is a road bridge crossing the River Suir, built c. 1880, it was reconstructed and widened in 1975.

John Dillon (4 September 1851 – 4 August 1927) was an Irish politician from Dublin, who served as a Member of Parliament (MP) for over 35 years and was the last leader of the Irish Parliamentary Party. By political disposition Dillon was an advocate of Irish nationalism, originally a follower of Charles Stewart Parnell, supporting land reform and Irish Home Rule.

The central part of the Dillon Bridge (and likewise the Old bridge) was destroyed by retreating IRA forces in 1922 in an attempt to slow the advance of the Free State army, but both were rebuilt by 1927.

Architectural description: The bridge consists of three round-headed arches to north, north-most two blocked and used as storage sheds, partly rebuilt rock-faced limestone abutments, and having high retaining limestone walling continuing bridge to level of Main Street. Three concrete spans spanning river and resting on concrete bases with rock-faced limestone walls, and with four round-headed arches to south. V-cutwaters on both upstream and downstream sides of earlier parts of bridge. Snecked rock-faced limestone walls and voussoirs with cut limestone string course to round-headed arches. Contemporary steel railings to concrete spans. Cast-iron plaque commemorating naming of bridge 1888 to east elevation parapet wall, and cast metal plaque commemorating reconstruction of bridge in 1975 to west elevation parapet wall. Flight of limestone steps with wrought-iron railings to west elevation at north bank. Footbridge linking building on north bank to east elevation of bridge. Round-headed arches blocked to north bank.