Town Clock Tower

Four-storey towerhouse, built c.1500, with square-plan clock drum surmounted by octagonal lantern, added c. 1750 and round-headed recess in south elevation is result of later alterations. Historical use as tholsel. Copper roof to lantern, with metal weather-vane finial and painted louvered fittings. Clock tower with clock faces on three sides and with moulded cornice. Painted rendered sandstone walls. Battered bases to south-east and south-west corners. Square-headed window openings to clock drum, loops elsewhere. Pointed arch entrance door to south elevation with replacement timber door. Murder hole and seventeenth-century fireplaces to interior. Situated on a narrow one-way street.

This landmark structure has undergone many changes, the current Clock was erected in 1784, sponsored by a family named Galleway. It was built in Manchester and is reached by a stone stairway with a number of gun slots in the walls. The bell has yet to be heard. 

Although the medieval origins of the tower can be seen in its battered base. It is an important feature of the streetscape and skyline of the town.

In 2015, COSBA facilitated the much needed painting of this historic monument. The painting was co-funded by the local council and the local business community through COSBA. The work was carried out by Stephen Rockett Decorating.