Ballyneale or Baile Ui Neill translates to “Home of the O’Neills”. Conn O’Neill built Ballyneile in the late 1500’s as a fortified manor house. Originally the structure was a Tudor style manor house with towers at the corners for defense. The O’Neills had to forfeit their lands after the Cromwellian wars. Cromwell formally received Ballyneale about 1691 from Walter Walsh.