Piltown GAA was formed in 1887, and went through many amalgamations until Parish Rule was introduced in the 1950s. The modern club was formed in 1953. The original grounds consisting of about 5 acres were purchased from the Land Commission on 1 November 1945 The original trustees were Canon Philip Comerford PP, Patrick Power MCC (Piltown) and Richard Keating (Clonmore). The price paid was £77. In 1957, Eddie Norris and Pa O’Shea replaced Canon Comerford and Patrick Power as trustees and Bob Aylward, the County Board Chairman was added to the trustees.
Early meetings took place at St. Columba’s Hall which was located at the old graveyard in Piltown. After it was demolished, meetings took place at Anthony’s Inn, Piltown National School and eventually in the dressing room that used to exist at the road end.