Tybroughney castle is located in south Kilkenny, on the back road, half way between the Three Bridges and the village of Piltown. Situated on the northern bank of the river Suir, it commands a strategic view over a long stretch of the river valley, including parts of counties Kilkenny, Tipperary and Waterford.
Tybroughney grew and developed around an early monastic settlement founded by St. Madomnec from Wales in the 6th century . It was inhabited by the Vikings during the 10th century and the first fortification was thought to be a wooden structure. The first stone structure was completed in 1185 on the instructions of Prince John, later to become King of England.
It is thought that the castle was rebuilt or got a major refurbishing in the fifteenth century. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the castle was in the hands of a Butler of Ormond know as Viscount Montgarret. After the Cromwell invasion the Mountgarrets were dispossessed but were later reinstated by King Charles II.

Address

Our Address:

Tibberaghny Piltown Co. Kilkenny

GPS:

52.34472588994178, -7.3549604415893555

Telephone:

-

Email:

-

Web:

-